Friday, August 22, 2014

The Beginning and Why I decided to breed Mealworms.


The idea of a worm farm seems INSANE! Until your sister gives you a leopard gecko that you fall in LOVE with and want the best for it!




Originally I was set to feed "Tiger" Crickets. But they smell and they are sooooooo loud when you want to sleep. Also you try 'catching' the uneaten crickets ... much harder than it sounds. Crickets in pet stores are starving and need to be gut loaded... this takes a few days and crickets are ninja escape artists.

Enter the Mealworm! My local pet shop does not sell many worms. Therefore they are old crusty and mostly dead blech! I searched online and found Uncle Jims Worm Farm had great reviews. I placed my order and 8 days later they arrived. 8 days in 90 degree weather= gross.

Half were black on arrival. I contacted Uncle Jim and he promptly re-sent my order.



4 days later I got a bag of fat juicy worms :D Yay! I moved them to an empty clean butter bowl with holes in the fridge. I fed "Tiger" 10-15 every day or so.

I noticed about 2 days ago that there were more black worms and that the overall size and health of the worms was declining. Obviously storing them in the fridge had a lot to do with it. Im sure they don't eat or move as much. Some Googling showed that worms can live in the fridge 2-6 months. Thats a HUGE range gap. I began to entertain the idea of proliferating the worms I had on hand. They were already starting to die at about 4 weeks in the fridge why not see if I can turn this around!

And thats how it started :D

No comments:

Post a Comment